Raynsford Academy recognises the many positive benefits for pupils cycling or scotting to and from school. We therefore look to encourage this form of travel behaviour, in as many ways as possible. We encourage pupils and parents to travel to school by cycling, scooting and walking (active travel) wherever possible.
Some of the benefits of active travel are:
- improving both mental and physical health through physical activity
- establishing positive active travel behaviour
- promoting independence and improving safety awareness
- reducing congestion, noise and pollution in the community
- reducing the environmental impact of the journey to school.
To encourage pupils to cycle or scoot to school frequently the school will:
- actively promote cycling and scooting as a positive way of travelling
- celebrate the achievements of those who cycle and scoot to school
- provide cycle and scooter storage on the school site
- provide high quality cycle training to all pupils who wish to participate.
To make cycling and scooting to and from school a positive experience for everybody concerned, we expect our pupils to:
- ride sensibly and safely and to follow the Highway Code
- check that their bicycle or scooter is roadworthy and regularly maintained
- behave in a manner which shows them and the school in the best possible light and to consider the needs of others when cycling or scooting
- consider wearing a cycle helmet
- ensure they can be seen by other road users, by using lights and wearing high-visibility clothing, as appropriate.
For the wellbeing of our pupils, we expect parents and carers to:
- encourage their child to walk, cycle or scoot to school whenever possible
- encourage their child to take up opportunities to develop their competence and confidence in cycling or scooting
- consider cycling or scooting with their child on the school run, possibly joining with other families as a ‘cycle train’
- provide their child with equipment such as high-visibility clothing, lights, a lock and cycle helmet as appropriate
- ensure that the bicycles and scooters ridden to school are roadworthy and regularly maintained.
Please find below some links to some useful websites which might help both for travelling to school or during leisure time:
- public transport journey planner www.traveline.info
- Live bus departure information utilising the http://nextbuses.mobi/
- National cycle routes (www.sustrans.org.uk)
- Cycle route planner (www.cyclestreets.net)
- Car share database that staff can use for free (www.liftshare.com);
- Links to Central Bedfordshire’s Travel Choices website (www.cbtravelchoices.co.uk)