At Raynsford it is our aim to raise standards by promoting a school Christian ethos, which is underpinned by core values. These values support the development of the whole child as a reflective learner within a calm, caring environment.
We give regular thought to how values can be used to support the child as a reflective learner and promote quality teaching and learning.
In our society, children are increasingly encouraged through advertising to think of happiness as something which can be found simply in the material world. They are generally encouraged to experience life in a world which is external to their inner selves.
As a school community we believe that the ethos of the school should be built on a foundation of Gospel values.
Value for July
God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say thank you? Anon
Thankfulness has always been at the centre of the life and worship of Christians. ‘Songs of thankfulness and praise…’ are at the heart of Christian worship.
Paul frequently encourages us to ‘be thankful’ (Colossians 3:15), to ‘give thanks in all circumstances’ (1 Thessalonians 5:18) and says that our lives should ‘overflow with thankfulness’ (Colossians 2:7).
What do we do in school in response to thankfulness?
- We show our appreciation for pupil’s achievements through praise and awarding certificates
- We know that having food, clothes and lovely things is a blessing and not a rightWe show our thankfulness through our support to charities that help others who are not as fortunate as ourselves.
- We give thanks to God through our hymns and our prayers, this is genuine and not simply saying the words.
- We learn to be thankful for the skills of others and the ways in which they enrich our lives.
- We say thank you to each other and know that saying thank you is important and polite.
‘Count your blessings’ is another phrase we often hear and, in these uncertain and worrying times, it is useful to just pause for a moment each day and think about all the things we are thankful for.
Prayer for July
Counting our Blessings…….
We have so many blessings to be thankful for….
Brothers and books and badgers,
Letters and lettuces and leopards,
Elephants and eggs and the earth,
Sisters and sausages and sunshine,
Schools and stories and stars,
Insects and ice-creams and ivy,
Night times and noses and nets,
Giraffes and gifts and grass,
Snails and seasons and smiles.